View the achievements achieved by FOHN and download any related articles and reports below.
The Faculty Development Group published a position paper on Occupational Health Nurse Education, Funding and Regulation. The Faculty of Occupational Health Nursing (FOHN) Development Group (FDG) position paper considered the current issues in relation to the availability of validated education courses, funding of education, regulated standards of practice, and revalidation for occupational health (OH) nursing in the United Kingdom (UK). Recommendations where made to address the issues raised and form a large part of the strategic objectives of the FOHN.
In April/May 2016 a survey was conducted to gather the views of UK occupational health nurses. The survey had three objectives:
1. To gather information and opinion on what the OHN profession want and expect from a future FOHN.
2. To gather information and opinion on what the OHN profession think about OHN education now and for the future.
3. To understand the demographic characteristics of nurses working in the occupational health setting.
The survey was completed by 1,429 OH nurses and results were published in the Occupational Health [at work] journal in a two part series (first edition published October 2016).
Key findings include:
- The need for an OH nursing ‘voice’ to represent the profession.
- The need for professional support, guidance and resources for OH nurses.
- To ensure that OH nurse education is fit for the future.
Annual Report 2021
A year of restrictions and constraints caused by the ongoing pandemic, impacted us all personally and professionally. Like many we have taken a hard look at what our priorities are for the coming year and what we can reasonably achieve.
We continue to achieve some progress in our three strategic areas:
Occupational health nurse representation
FOHN continue to influence and support key stakeholders: as a core stakeholder on the Joint DWP/DHSC Employers, Health and Inclusive Employment (EHIE) Directorate Task and Finish Group, engaging with the NMC Post Registration Standards Steering Group and members of the OH HSE Liaison group and the Council for Work & Health.
Occupational health nurse education
Working with FOM on the development of the Diploma in Occupational Health Practice.
Occupational health nursing practice
Work has started on the development of a suite of guidance documents aimed at employers and occupational health nurses.